Throughout my career I have taken an active role in administration and sought to understand and play a role in the organisations I belong to.
January 2019-, Co-Director of the Birkbeck Centre for Medieval and Early Modern Studies
- Having overseen with another colleague the design and proposal of a new research centre to centralise and promote medieval studies at Birkbeck, I am now acting as co-director with responsibility for developing web resources and coordinating a launch event at the Leeds International Medieval Congress in July 2019.
November 2018-November 2021, Academic Staff Governor
- I take an active part in the Birkbeck Board of Governors, and thus the governance of the organisation, speaking as a member of academic staff in meetings of the full board and acting as a member of relevant committees.
January 2018-August 2020, Director of Teaching, Learning and Student Experience
- Responsible for coordinating teaching provision within HCA, responding to queries about non-subject-specific issues of teaching, and using student feedback to develop department-wide teaching strategies for improved retention and recruitment.
September 2017-August 2018, BA Implementation group
- Member of the committee for ensuring that the BA restructure is introduced effectively, including completion of module development paperwork, support for staff leading new core courses and discussion of ongoing issues, such as assessment. In this capacity I also took on design and initial roll-out of a new suit of core skills courses to guide students from the first to the final year of their BA in all programmes in the department.
July 2016-August 2018, Approaching the Past coordinator
- Coordinating the team-taught module, ‘Approaching the Past’ (see above for module description). This involves coordinating with staff giving lectures and leading seminars, and having general oversight of marking, attendance and queries from the whole Year 1 cohort, as well as organising two study days.
September 2016-July 2017, MA Medieval History Coordinator
- As coordinator of the MA in Medieval History I coordinated seminar teaching for the core course, helped students to identify module choices and dissertations, responded to student queries, organised the annual exam board, coordinated shared module advertising with the Department of English and ensured that peer-review of teaching was conducted across all staff teaching on medieval modules.
September 2016-July 2017, Deputy Director for BA History
- I shadowed the Director of BA History, helping with the organisation of BA induction, exam boards and retention meetings.
September 2016-July 2017, Hiring committees
- I have served on shortlisting committees for four hirings within HCA, including for two permanent posts, reading applications and participating in discussions to create a shortlist for interview.
September 2016-August 2017, BA Development group
- Member of the committee for ensuring that the BA restructure was developed in a way which took into account different staff perspectives and responded to practical as well as pedagogical conditions.
September 2015-July 2018, HCA Lunchtime Seminar
- With Dr Lesley McFadyn (2015-2017) and Dr Kat Hill (2017-2018), organised a programme of fortnightly seminars during the Autumn and Spring terms. Introduced teaching and professional development sessions, which have received very positive feedback.
September 2015-July 2018, MA application interviews
- I have conducted MA interviews and interviews with prospective PhD students.
September 2015-May 2016, Birkbeck Medieval Seminar
- Sole responsibility for organising the Annual Birkbeck Medieval Seminar. ‘Things on the Move’.
Bilderfahrzeuge Project, Warburg Institute (2014-15)
September 2014-August 2015
- Management of project website and blog; organisation of group exhibition.
University of Birmingham (2009-2011)
- Coordinator of College of Arts and Law Postgraduate Induction and Generic Research Skills (August-October 2011).
June 2010-June 2011
- ADEPT Coordinator for College of Arts and Law (June 2010-June 2011). Conducted market research among postgraduates about employability concerns. Organised provision of workshops, CV advice and the 2010 College Careers Fair.
- Pilot Scheme Member to re-write College of Arts and Law Generic Research Skills Provision.